Black Mold May Cause Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and Miscarriage

There is now a lot of evidence to connect black mold with Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and miscarriage. The death of an infant can be devastating for a family so can losing a baby due to miscarriage. It is vital that any steps needed to prevent these awful events should be taken.

It is not just the fact that black mold is toxic that means that it is dangerous to infants. One way that it is believed to work is that black mold spores end up in baby’s mattress and they releases harmful chemicals from the mattress into the air and the baby breathes this lethal gas. This process is believed to be responsible for many cases of SIDS.

Black mold has also been associated with miscarriage. It seems that exposure to mold toxin could be the cause of many women losing their baby during pregnancy. Not all mold is toxic, but it is almost impossible to tell this by just looking. The usual way to determine toxicity is by sending the mold to be tested in a laboratory. This is why it is probably a good idea that pregnant women treat all mold as if it were toxic and keeping well away from it.

The best way to stop black mold from becoming an issue for infants and those who are pregnant is to prevent it occurring in your home, and if you do have it to quickly eliminate the problem. This can be a difficult issue for those who are living in rented accommodation and have a landlord who just won’t do anything about your mold problem. The advice here is to find somewhere else to stay either permanently or until the problem is fixed.

The real danger comes when black mold is growing and you are not even aware of it. Mold likes damp places that are poorly ventilated so make sure you check your attic and basement and any other cubby holes. Of course, if you are pregnant you will want someone else to conduct this search for you. In most instances eradicating the mold will be fairly straight forward so long as you discover it all. Pregnant women should not be involved in any part of the cleaning up process, but be kept well away from the area in case toxic spores are released into the air. When the mold is completely removed you will then need to take measures to make sure it doesn’t back again.