Melbourne Central Pursuits District (CAD) Conservation Research 1985 survey illustrations or photos: approx 1200 Kodak color negatives:
Melbourne Central Pursuits District (CAD) Conservation Research 1985 on the most important developing and this arcade:
`Built as the Athenaeum Club Building (furthermore ground level shops), it was built in the title of club secretary James H Moorhead, to the style and design of William Salway and on land leased from W J Lobb. The contractor was J Gillespie of Fitzroy. Occupiers outlined in the nineties directories are restricted to the Club (288) and proper shop holders, this kind of as tobacconists of hairdressers, filling the 292 Collins Avenue handle. Amid them had been George Roberts and Montague Levy and, in the late nineties, the chemist, George Swift, moved from Swanston Avenue to present a second retailer at the club entrance. Swift was there into the 1920s, accompanied by Blight & Shannon’s tea rooms, which outdated the various hairdressing businesses at 290. Right after near forty several years of peaceful club life, John Lobb’s estate bought the developing to the Hotham Estate Pty Ltd (1929), commencing a new, comparatively brash existence as leased offices in excess of a ground flooring zig-zag Moderne styled arcade. The club sought new premises further east in Collins Avenue and in its put Block Courtroom housed predominantly women’s outfits makers and merchants. Ye Previous Dutch Tea & Coffee Home was in the basement and the two most important shops at the Collins Avenue arcade entry had been Treasure Chest, lingerie, and the Block Bag Shoppe. In the arcade itself had been the Nic Nac gift shop, Daddy Prolonged Legs lingerie, Claire the Milliner (with workrooms upstairs), furthermore the commonly French named dressmaking and lingerie firms who populated the four higher floors.
Harry A Norris created the arcade renovation in 1930 as an annexe to the Block Arcade. Though not the only arcade to be possibly slice by means of an old developing or built new in the thirties (see Manchester Unity arcade), this arcade possesses the most integrity to its time period and feeds from the unique character of the adjacent block.’…
`The ground level has been absolutely refinished in 1930, and requires on this era, except for subsequent alterations. The arcade is completed with brass shopfront joinery, established in excess of terrazzo plinths with ornate jazz moderne fibrous plasterwork in the ceiling. The flooring is completed with a terrazzo with geometric border, once again in the jazz moderne way. Off the most important Arcade is a insignificant elevate lobby, with initial elevate door and architrave, with the indication `LIFT’painted in gold define on a marble board in excess of the head. Higher than that once again is a Tenants’ Directory, once again painted on white marble, with a variety of faded names hooked up, as divided into Very first, 2nd and Third Flooring columns. Adjacent to that is a Buchan marble dado and white marble stair, leading up to the workplace floors. A faded indication here reads, `LOITERERS AND HAWKERS NOT Permitted.’
The Arcade is an outstanding illustration of 1930 French influenced ornamentation, with all aspects commonly intact. This extends to a pair of brass framed telephone booths at the Block Arcade entrance to Block Courtroom and a substantial concrete faceted indication, spelling the Court’s title. Underneath is an illuminated exhibit with stepped borders and stepped finishes.’
Tagged: , business , background , heritage , Situations , decoration , culture , architecture , Melbourne , Victoria , Australia